Question – Integrative Research and Consultancy Project.
A dissertation is a display of your ability to identify a topic, justify that topic, write clear aims and objectives which are interrelated, search and review the relevant literature, design data collection tools, apply those tools, manage the data collection and make sense of it.
Presentation of the Dissertation
The dissertation should conform to the following standards
- The length of the dissertation should be between 15,000 and 20,000 words (chapters 1 to 6, from introduction chapter to conclusions chapter)
- Quotes and the References List are not included in the word count
- The dissertation should be word-processed Font
- You can use any font style available (as long as it is legible). Once you have chosen a
style be consistent, do not change to another.
- Font size 11 should be used. The size of chapter headings and section headings are left to your discretion but should not be unduly large.
Bold and Italics
- It is normal to bold just the headings
- Italicise your quotations
- Do not italicise or underline any text that you think is important
- All page number should be numbered in Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3 etc.)
- Page 1 is the first page of the Introduction
- The sections that come before the Introduction are usually numbered with small Roman numerals (i, ii, iii, iv etc.)
- All page numbers should be at the bottom centre of the page
- Margins at the binding edge must not be less than 40mm (1.5 inches) and other margins not less than 20mm (0.75 inch)
- 1.5 spacing should be used for all text
- However, indented quotations should have single line spacing
Chapters and Section Headings
- Each chapter should have a title
- Section headings should be used and be numbered
- The system of numbering should be consistent
- Each chapter should be started on a new sheet of paper
Tables and Figures
- Where tables and figures (graphs, charts and diagrams) are used they should, as far as possible, be given margins equal to or greater than a page of text
- They should be displayed or pasted into the dissertation as near as possible to the relevant text.
- Each one should be numbered consecutively, for example, Table 1, Figure 1, etc
- All Tables and Figures should clearly state their source Deviations from the set formatting guidelines will severely affect your grade, regardless of report content. This is to ensure optimal length consistency and fairness for all submitted student reports.
Question – Integrative Research and Consultancy Project
NB: Marks will be awarded for proper referencing and originality of work. Also note that plagiarism is a serious offence and your submission will be electronically checked.
Your dissertation must be handed in electronically no later than the date stated on this assignment brief. Please note that lecturers and students are not allowed to negotiate individual extensions. Late submission could result in failure.