Value: 40% (marked out of 40)
Instructions : MNG93002 Strategy And Case Analysis Assignment
You have been asked to read the short account of the US airlines industry (please refer to the file Assessment 2 – Background Information.pdf, which is available on MySCU) and prepare a 2500-word report that addresses the following:
• With the aid of a clearly drawn diagram conduct a competitive forces analysis of the U.S. airline industry. What does this analysis tell you about the causes of low profitability in this industry? What are the principal advantages and disadvantages of using the five forces framework?
• The economic performance of the airline industry seems to be very cyclical. Why do you think this is the case?
• Given your analysis, what strategies do you think an airline should adopt to improve its chances of being persistently profitable?
This assessment focuses on Strategic Position. In preparing your report, you should demonstrate understanding and application of the strategic concepts that are outlined in Part I: Strategic Position of the textbook.
Your report must be structured as follows:
• Introduction (3 marks)
• Overview of the US airline industry (5 marks)
• Five forces analysis of US airline industry
o Diagram (2 marks)
o Components (8 marks)
o Advantages and disadvantages (5 marks)
• Economic performance (5 marks)
• Identifying strategies for airline profitability (5 marks)
• Discussion (5 marks)
• Conclusion (2 marks)