HI5020 Corporate Accounting Assessment item 2 — Assignment
Select a public limited company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Go to the website of your company. Then go to the Investor Relations section of the website. This section may be called, “Investors”, “Shareholder Information” or similar name.
In this section, go to your firm’s annual reports and save to your computer your firm’s latest annual reports consecutively for last three years. For example, these may be dated 30 June 2016 or 31 March 2017. Do not use your firm’s interim financial statements or their concise financial statements. Please read the financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, statement of changes in owner’s equity, cash flow statement) very carefully. Also please read the relevant footnotes of your firm’s financial statements carefully and include information from these footnotes in your answer.
You need to do the following tasks:
CASH FLOWS STATEMENT
- From your firm’s financial statement, list each item of reported in the CASH FLOWS STATEMENT and write your understanding of each item. Discuss any changes in each item of CASH FLOWS STATEMENT for your firm over the past year articulating the reasons for the change.
- Provide a comparative analysis of your company’s three broad categories of cash flows
(operating activities, investing activities, financing activities) and make a comparative evaluation for three years.
OTHER COMPREHENSIVE INCOME STATEMENT
- What items have been reported in the other comprehensive income statement
- Explain your understanding of each item reported in the other comprehensive income statement
- Why these items have not been reported in Income Statement/Profit and Loss Statement
ACCOUNTING FOR CORPORATE INCOME TAX
- What is your firm’s tax expense in its latest financial statements?
- Is this figure the same as the company tax rate times your firm’s accounting income? Explain why this is, or is not, the case for your firm.
- Comment on deferred tax assets/liabilities that is reported in the balance sheet articulating the possible reasons why they have been recorded.
- Is there any current tax assets or income tax payable recorded by your company? Why is the income tax payable not the same as income tax expense?
- Is the income tax expense shown in the income statement same as the income tax paid shown in the cash flow statement? If not why is the difference?
(xi) What do you find interesting, confusing, surprising or difficult to understand about the treatment of tax in your firm’s financial statements? What new insights, if any, have you gained about how companies account for income tax as a result of examining your firm’s tax expense in its accounts?
ORDER This HI5020 Corporate Accounting Assignment NOW And Get Instant Discount
Please remember some aspects of your firm’s treatment of its tax –can be a very complicated area, particularly for some firms.
You will have to do a presentation in the class where your lecturer will question you from different angles of the assignment and you will have to satisfy the lecturer that you were sufficiently and appropriately involved in preparing the assignment. The presentation will take place in the last hour of the class of week 11 and week 12. It is the discretion of the lecturer to ask any student to do the presentation or to award marks to a student without asking to do the presentation. But every student need to be prepared for the presentation and well conversant about everything that has been written in the submitted assignment.
Assessment marking criteria
- Doing the assignment on three years annual report for your company and doing appropriate comparison
- Insightful description of each item of your firm’s cash flows statement –
indicating a degree of understanding of what each item is
(iii)Insightful explanation of changes in each item of the cash flows statement
- Insightful explanation of each item of Other Comprehensive Income Statement
- Clear description of your firm’s income tax expense
- Insightful explanation of whether, and if so why, your firms’ income tax expense differs from the corporate tax rate times the accounting income
- Explanation of why the income tax expense shown in the income statement is different from income tax shown in the cash flow statement
- Understanding of deferred tax assets and deferred tax liabilities and why they have changed over the previous year.
- Convincing evidence (if needed, class by presentation) that the student was sufficiently and appropriately involved in preparing the assignment.