Length: 3,000 words
Marks: 45% of final grade
Assignment : APPL940 Applied Linguistic And Tesol
This assignment allows you to explore an aspect of LSP that interests you. You may choose one of the following essay topics or you may negotiate a topic with the Unit Convenor (by discussing your idea with him).
- Identify ONE trend in LSP since 1960 and discuss how it has impacted on the teaching of LSP.
- Discuss why focusing only on vocabulary and jargon in LSP courses is ineffective in developing overall communicative competence in workplaces.
- Compare and discuss the challenges of teaching ESP in (i) a country (of your choice) where English is widely spoken; and (ii) a country (of your choice) where English is not widely spoken.
- Suggest an area of LSP that you think would benefit from further research. Discuss why you think this area would benefit and what you think could be learned.
- Discuss the important role played by culture in ONE area of LSP (e.g. Language for Business Purposes; Language for Professional Purposes (e.g. Medical or Legal or Financial Purposes etc.). How is culture relevant in this area and what impact does it have?
- Of the three major approaches to genre (ESP; New Rhetoric; Australian) which do you consider most useful and why? Discuss in relation to ONE area of LSP (e.g. Language for Business Purposes; Language for Professional Purposes (e.g. Medical or Legal or Financial Purposes etc.).
- Discuss the importance of multimodality on ONE area of LSP (e.g. Language for Business Purposes; Language for Professional Purposes (e.g. Medical or Legal or Financial Purposes etc.).
Marking criteria: Applied Linguistic And Tesol Assignment
Topic development [80%]
- adequately identifies and defines the issues
- reflects critical reading and thought
- relates topic to articulated theory derived from module readings
- refers to a minimum of 5 self-selected readings in addition to readings included in the modules
- articulates own understanding or evaluation of issues in the topic
- relates implications of theory or issues to own teaching context if appropriate Effective presentation [20%]
- appropriately structures and organises the assignment in response to the question
- gives adequate attention to cohesive argument, grammatical construction and technical conventions (grammar, spelling, punctuation)
- gives adequate attention to correct referencing procedures, including use of APA style. (For details of the APA Style, see
4c. Assignment Submission Assignments for this unit should be submitted to Turnitin via iLearn. The submission links are
in the ‘Week 14’ tab in iLearn. Please do NOT submit assignments by email directly to the
For each assignment, you must:
- include your full name as a footer
- type double-spaced
- submit the assignment in MSWord or RTF format
4d. Return of Marked Assignments Students’ marked assignments will, in general, be returned to them in class or within iLearn’s
Grade book; or by email within 3 weeks of the submission date. Please note that assignments cannot be accepted after the return of marked materials.