Unit Title : Nursing Research
Assessment Type : Assignment
Word Count : 2000 words
● Please read the background information below. When you have read the background information, you can proceed to the questions on the Assessment Template. These questions relate to the background information.
● You will need to apply the knowledge that you have gained from Topics 1-4 to complete these questions.
● The marks allocated to each question are stated next to the question.
● The word count is stated next to each question. Note that when the word count says ‘equivalent’ it means that you do not need to have that exact number of words to answer the question – just provide as much detail as required to answer the question.
● You are advised to frequently refer to the Assessment Feedback Sheet/rubric to guide you on what characteristics of a response constitute an F2, F1, P2, P1, C, D, and HD grade.
● You must reference answers using the university Harvard Reference System. You do not need to reference the articles listed in the Tables in Question 5 but if any other sources are used, these should be referenced.
Nursing Research Assignment – Australia.
Background: Immuniversitytion – Health beliefs :
You are working in a community health centre and one of your roles is to promote immuniversitytion for parents, children and their extended family. This includes promoting vaccination against COVID-19. You have had a few pregnant women decline vaccination. This concerns you as you know that if the pregnant woman is immunised that passive immunity is passed to her unborn baby to help protect them against COVID-19 when they are newborn.
You do not think that parents pregnant women would deliberately expose their children baby themselves to the risk of serious disease unless they were guided by a belief that the immuniversitytion was not safe. You are aware via media reports that there is an anti-vaccine movement, and you want a quick overview of what it is all about. As most of us would do, you consult Google, and you find the following information. Read the information below:
Nursing Research Assignment – Australia.
As you want to have an informed discussion with the parents pregnant women you are working with, you decide to examine the available research. You are aware that both qualitative and quantitative evidence inform evidence based practice, so you may choose either approach (or both). For instance, you may investigate the evidence around the safety of vaccination or you may explore why parents pregnant women are concerned about immuniversitytion. To narrow your search try to be specific about what information you want to explore.
*Please do not include this page of background information when you submit the assessment template to learn online.
Assessment 1 Template
*Equivalent means that your responses may not equate exactly to the number of words that you have written. As the format for this assessment is a template an approximate word count is given that reflects the work required to complete the template. Suggested word counts may be given in the template to guide you in how much detail is required in your response. The template word count is not included in your word count. The template itself (without the background) equates to approximately 900 words. You will note an elevated similarity percentage when this is submitted via TurnItIn because of the template. Your lecturers tutors are aware of this.
Questions 1- 4
Question 1 a. From the background information relating to COVID-19 immuniversitytion, develop a
research able question.
Tip: Complete the PICO/ PiCo (question 1b & 2a) first before writing your question below:
Question 1 b: Identify the elements of (words relating to) PICO or PICo for the research question you have formulated (delete irrelevant table)
Question 2 a. What type of research methodology do you think should be used to answer the research question that you have formulated?
Question 2 b. Justify why this methodology was chosen to answer the question (Approx 150 words,
reference as per university Harvard Referencing System)
Question 3: Name one (1) suitable health academic database for the above formulated research question, and develop a search plan that will assist in finding relevant studies for the research question. You will need to identify a search term and synonym, and explain how you will combine them using Boolean Operators. You may like to include truncations and wildcards to improve your strategy. Database:
Question 4 a. Find a research study (either primary or secondary) that answers your research question, and provide its details in the table below
Citation [please paste the full citation in university Harvard Reference Style in the right column]
URL [please paste the URL of the study in the right column to allow markers to locate the study]
Question 4 b. First, explain why the research study chosen answers the research question that you have formulated in Question 1a. Second, rate the level of evidence (LoE) of the chosen study by referring to a suitable Levels of Evidence system (e.g. the NHMRC levels of evidence table). (Approx 150 words, reference as per university Harvard Referencing System)
Discuss the reasons why the studies above would or would not be helpful in enabling a nurse/midwife to have an informed discussion with parents/a pregnant woman about immuniversitytion for their children themselves.
Consider the following points :
● The relative value of qualitative and quantitative research in clinical practice generally.
● The results of the specific studies (Q 5), and the relative value of the studies to a discussion with parents a pregnant woman (include LOE etc.)
● Further information that may be useful in an informed discussion with parents a pregnant woman about immuniversitytion for their children themselves.