Professional Engagement with Learning
Due Date: Weeks 3-14
Aims: This assessment encourages students to become self-directed learners within the
university environment, to develop regular study habits, and to engage in effective
collaborative learning with their peers and lecturer or tutor.
Task: Students participate by:
• Answering and asking questions; discussing topics; and presenting, arguing and justifying opinions in whole class and small group discussions.
• Undertaking individual written homework activities.
• Undertaking online exercises such as questionnaires and discussion board participation.
• Engaging in mini-presentations in their workshop.
• Undertaking individual and group writing tasks in the workshop.
• Supporting fellow students and contributing in a positive way to the learning of the class as a whole.
• Constructively using lecturer and peer feedback to improve the quality of their communication skills in class.
Assessment Marking Criteria:
This mark is cumulative. From time to time the workshop tutor will assess the quality of the student’s participation on the class list using criteria and indicator marks similar to those shown in the table. The indicators will be converted into a mark at the end of semester.
In-class participation in learning: Quality of and engagement in presentation practice
Engaging in effective group exercises
Asking insightful questions and oral participation
Out-of-class participation in learning: Quality of student’s homework and participation in online exercises
Students should occasionally check the class list that their workshop lecturer or tutor holds to see how they are going and try to participate more effectively based on feedback. If necessary, students should discuss strategies with their lecturer or tutor as to how they can improve their participation.